Signs of Human Trafficking
How do you know if someone is a victim of human trafficking? Here are some important signs, or indicators, that someone might be a human trafficking victim:
- Seem to be restricted or controlled by someone else in the way they are communicating or acting.
- Show fear, anxiety, depression, or stress.
- Seem unfamiliar with their environment; don’t know their work or home address.
- Believe that they can’t leave their home or work environment.
- Appear to have no identification documents like driver’s license, family pictures, membership cards, or school ID (If school age).
- Have limited contact with the outside world.
- Work long hours while receiving little or no money for their services.
- Show signs of physical or sexual abuse.
- Are involved in gangs.
- Have tattoos or “brands.”
- Suddenly have expensive items that they say are gifts.
- Are truant from school or don’t come home for days at a time.